Heartstrings By Susette

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ragnar Fun!

If you think that people that run for fun are crazy, well, then..... you need to meet people who run in the ragnar relay! They really ARE crazy!!!!! I was invited by my best friend Nicole to come to Arizona and spend some quality "girl time" and have some fun running in the ragnar relay together. I agreed and knew that I would have a great time, if for no other reason than simply to see her and do a little of what I love to do... RUN!


So, here we are at the starting checkpoint in Wickenburg (and yes that is an awefully long line up of port-a-potties behind us :).














Here is half of our team #134! I was lucky runner #1 so I got to be the first one to start the race. It was really a beautiful day, I think it was about 50 degrees, and although warm enough for a great run, I was shivering right before it all started (nerves I'm sure :).














Here I am just after finishing my first leg of the relay which was 8.6 miles UPHILL! Luckily, it was not as hard as I had anticipated and I was able to come in first in my leg, with only this prickly cactus left to kick my butt! ;)














Here I am with Staci in front of our "Midnight Crawlers" van. Yes, that was our lovely team name and the lovely orange socks that we were sporting were also a part of our "team uniform."














Here I am getting all lit up to go on my night run! This one was in the city and super fast! Although I got off course twice and ended up running an extra half mile or so, it was probably my funnest run. It ran through city streets, a golf course, a park, and homes. (Now wether or not I was supposed to see all of that is another story;)














The next day, our entire team crossed the finish line together with music playing and people cheering! It was a great feeling of accomplishment. We ran hard, laughed a lot, (made good use of all of those port-a-potties) and made some great memories together. I now like to think that I have another bit of "family" down in Arizona, and a best friend with yet another life loving experience that will go down in history!























Riding on an airplane, 48 hours of no sleep, 200 miles of running, riding, and cheering, a HEAVENLY bubble bath at the end, and double doses of the "Golden Spoon..."

There really aren't words to put to all of this insanity. But- Nicky, for you I would do it all again!!!! It was awesome!!!! Love ya girl!!!!

No comments: