Heartstrings By Susette

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Eagle of the Quarter















It's Wednesday, March 21st ~ 8:35 a.m. ~ and I am sitting in the media center at Oquirrh Hills Middle School attending a reception breakfast for my son Carew who was awarded the Eagle of the Quarter. I know it may sound a little silly, but I sat with the biggest lump in my throat and quickly blinked away the swelling up of moisture that was coming to my eyes when he was presented with his award! Here he sits proudly showing Kambriella the Eagle that is on his medal. She wasn't the only one that was thinking how very special this was! ;)



I knew that Carew would be receiving this award because a few weeks prior, we had received a letter in the mail from the school telling us all about it. We had a few different papers that we had to fill out telling all about Carew and his family so that they could read it in front of the school. It was fun to sit down with the family and talk about Carew and what things we liked about him and what some of our favorite memories with him were... but when I got to the school and sat back as the "proud mama :)" and watched his big smile and his eyes light up as they spot lighted him, I felt a great measure of happiness and deep gratitude for this son of mine who is quickly growing up right before my very eyes. Boys are sooooo much different than girls, and I feel that I have expected a lot of Carew... and seeing him in a different atmosphere surrounded by supportive teachers, and a mob of friends all cheering him on, it was very clear to see that HE is good. HE is learning, and HE is turning out to be an amazing young man.












The award ceremony was nice, and it made me grateful for the other good people in life that help me in raising these precious children of mine. His principal pointed out multiple times the pattern of repetition found in all of these good students; they each had a strong desire to do good, and had strong family ties. The award was not only for his academic achievements, but also for his "outstanding behavior and respect for others." ~And although I am very happy about his A's~ I am more delighted that he is learning how to be the child of God that he is, and the disciple of Christ that he wants to be...kind and loving to others, and letting his "light shine" wherever he goes! Thanks for being MY son Carew! I love you and am very proud of you! Keep up the good work! :)

P.S. I thought it was so funny when Carew brought this award home he asked me, "Mom, does this mean that I am smarter than Kierra?" I laughed and then said, "Carew... you're both pretty smart... but you'll still never know more than me and your dad!!! ;)

No comments: