One thing that is certain in this life is that there is always room to grow. There is always room to improve and learn and to be better than we were the day before. I know that I can definitely learn more patience from my children, increase my knowledge and learning through good books, and thankfully, gain more "wisdom" through life's little lessons. Some days the lessons that I learn seem to be simple in logic, yet profound in meaning - just like what happened to me the other morning.
I was sound asleep, peacefully dreaming, when I was abruptly awakened by the sound of my alarm. I threw back the covers and stumbled to turn off the sound. This morning was starting out the same as most mornings as I mechanically maneuvered myself through the room in the dark, gathering the items that I needed to go out for my morning run. I had been successful at collecting all of the items except for one thing - my socks. I reached into the basket to get my socks and was certain that all of the different materials that I was feeling were NOT my socks. I could feel nylons, wool socks, my nice trouser socks, my furry warm slipper socks - everything but my running socks! Frustrated, I left the room and decided to go and get dressed and get a drink, and then I would go back a second time and this time surely be able to find my socks! Well, when I went back and "felt" my way through the sock basket, I found myself once again frustrated at not being able to find my socks! Finally, after mentally apologizing to Clint for having to turn on the light, I reached my arm around the doorway of my closet, flipped on the light switch, grabbed my running socks, and then quickly turned the light back off. That was it! Within a matter of seconds I was able to see clearly what I needed, get it, and be done! I had finally obtained the last item that I needed before I could move forward with beginning my day. As I sat (in the dark) putting on my socks and shoes, I had this very distinct thought come to my mind. -Sometimes in life we think that we can do things on our own - that we don't need any "light" to find what we are looking for or to get us where we need to be. If only we would take an extra second in our day to "turn on the light," then we could begin to move forward and progress. Who knows how much time I would have wasted in the dark had I not decided to just turn on the light. It's also interesting to think about the fact that Clint was right there in the room with me, but I was still the one who had to flip the switch. It is the same with the gospel of Jesus Christ. What we need is right in front of us and only we can choose to turn on the light. Only we can invite our Savior into our lives and let His light shine bright for us. It's a pretty simple lesson, but one that I have thought about time and time again, and one that I am reminded of every single day as I simply choose to "turn on the light!"
No comments:
Post a Comment