Heartstrings By Susette

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back at the Cabins...

As the evening began to wind down at our family reunion, we found ourselves in the midst of a warm campfire, toasty marshmallows, and squeals of laughter from the"night games." Everyone seemed to be having a great time except when poor little Gavin accidentally burned Kierra with his "hot from the fire" marshmallow;(
He felt so sad about it that he went and hid around the corner of the cabin and sunk down to the ground huddled up hugging his knees. I was busy trying to "tag" Danny and when I went speeding past the cabin and saw Gavin looking so sad, I just had to stop and see what was wrong. I held him close and hugged him tight and reassured him that accidents happen and that Kierra knew he didn't mean to do it...I told him that even when accidents happen, that it's good to apologize and that it helps everyone to feel better.
Well, just as we were getting up to go find Kierra, Gavin spotted this little critter moving past us. (And being the "courageous-not afraid of anything-mom will save the day" kind of mom that I want my kids to think that I am;) I just had to try and catch it so that I could make Gavin feel better and hopefully find his big smile again! So, even though inside I was horrified of what could happen to me if this "critter" were to bite me or was mean or rabid or whatever else it could possibly be, I acted tough and brave and got right behind it and grabbed it around the belly and quickly ran to Gavin and the others and shouted out, "I have a present for you!!!"
I am happy to say that Gavin's smile was found once again, (although he still felt bad) and I was able to maintain the "best mom in the whole galaxy" title! (At least that is what Gavin thinks;)
So luckily our little cousin Drake had brought his bug catcher with him and we were able to put our "pet" in it and enjoy him a little longer. But, after only keeping him for about a half hour or so, we decided that he would be much happier out in the wild where he could roam free (and find something better to eat than what happened to be scared out of him in the little bug catcher, if you know what I mean...) The only thing we never did find out was, "what was it anyway?" A mole, a mouse, a rat, a squirrely ancestor of some kind? I don't really know, but it sure was fun to have him around for a little while! And yes, I was glad that I was able to save the day!;)














(I just couldn't resist putting some of these pictures in here of all of the sleeping beauties! I got up early before everyone else and went on a peaceful morning hike. When I got back and went to check on everyone, THIS is what I found! What do you think? Who would you guess got the best beauty rest? :) Love you guys!!!


































No comments: