Heartstrings By Susette

Monday, September 26, 2011

A flood of emotion, a flood of gratitude...

I feel like anymore that each little plot of time that we are given with our loved ones, are times that are forever treasured. Specifically this last couple of weeks, my parents were able to come back up and see us for a bit. My uncle passed away and though it is always sad to say goodbye to our loved ones, I always enjoy any opportunity to be with my parents again. I love to see my children smile and run to hug them when they arrive. I love how my boys move very quickly whenever it is a request for help given by grandma or grandpa. I love how they are so comfortable in just "hanging out" around the house. -And I love how much our love still grows for each other with each passing day. That's why I feel so strongly that we really need to be grateful for the little things in life...
I love how my kids come up with big smiles on their faces and say, "I bet you can't get me!" (When in reality they are just dying to have grandma or grandpa snuggle into their neck and get their sugars!)












I love the memories that come flooding when things tickle my senses, like the smells and sounds of things I loved as a little girl. -Like always getting a soda and a candy bar whenever we would go on a road trip, or hiking up at Hatcher's Pass...and here is my dad with one of my favorites! Making huckleberry pancakes! When I was little we would always go out and pick blueberries or huckleberries and make yummy pancakes with them.












This particular morning my dad was up making these pancakes at 6:00 in the morning because him and my brother were headed out to go fishing. It was such a treat to have them for breakfast once again!












When we went up to Idaho to my Uncle's funeral, I really felt a sense of belonging as I was gathered around all of my family. I also felt a need to remember those important things and important people in my life. There was a special spirit there as I walked around and remembered my grandparents Harris and Norma...














...and my great-grandparents Michael and Sarah.












I also loved hearing the story my mom told me of this little river where her and her cousin used to go and play and use an old milk wagon and pretend like they were pioneers. They would pick mint leaves to eat and try to cross the river in their long skirts. This is also the place where my mom got cut really bad on a barbed wire fence. She still has the scar...times sure are different now days...















This old building on the left used to be a large chicken house where my dad worked when he was a teenager...














...and here is the house that he stayed in while he was working there. I guess it was close enough for him to get to date my mom :)...and take care of the chickens. (I wonder which one was the major motivating factor ;) Hmmmm...













...and though it is kind of hard to tell from this picture, this is where my mom used to go sledding as a little girl! I can just imagine it, squealing and laughing the whole way!














I am thankful for good parents that have always taught me about what is most important in life, and that I have been blessed to realize just how important family is so that I can pass that on to my own children. My memories both of my life now and as a little girl will always be one of those things that tug on my heartstrings.

No comments: