Heartstrings By Susette

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Date with Carew...

On Sunday September 16th, Carew came up to me and said,
 "Mom, do you know what today is?"
I responded and said, "Yes, I do! It's your day for a date!"
 
I love that my children look forward to their "alone" time with mom or dad.
A long time ago when we first became parents we decided that one of the most important things that we wanted to do with our children was to have individual dates with them...often.
We tried many different ways to make this happen...everything from writing the day down every month on the calendar to filling out the whole year in advance JUST so that it was already on there. None of these ways seemed to work too well for us though.
BUT,
 I was NOT going to be defeated over something that was soooo important to me.
 
After thinking long and hard, and praying to Heavenly Father to know what to do to make this work for our family, I remember very vividly receiving MY answer...
 
"You will remember them every month on the day of their birthday."
 
So, from that day on, we have had successful dates with our children!
 NO we have not been perfect, but we have done extremely well in my book. I am a number person and so their numbers of their birthdays stand out to me whenever I look at the calendar...
2, 11, 15, 16, & 26.
Whether we have a chance to plan something elaborate, or just throw something together at the last minute...it doesn't matter. Whether it's on a Friday or a Sunday...it doesn't matter. The thing that DOES matter is that each of the children know that they are important and that we care about THEM.
We have time for THEM. Just THEM.
Our dates have been everything from building forts in our bedroom and drawing pictures together in them ~to~ riding bikes to Arctic Circle or the gas station for a treat ~to~ climbing trees and the roof of our playhouse being spies ~to~ locking the bathroom door for pedicures!
 We have gone on walks to the park to go swinging in the dark and gone out to the movies or to dinner or ice cream or lunch. We have gone to Jazz games, worked on scouting and personal progress, parked at the temple, rolled down the grassy hill, sat on the front porch to listen to the wind blow the leaves on the trees, early morning bike rides, and on and on and on!!!
 Like I said...it doesn't matter WHAT you do together as long as you do it TOGETHER! ~And now that it has become such a habit for us, if we ever think we are going to be "too busy" that day...our children will make sure they remind us of our priority!!! :) I. LOVE. IT!
 
So, on Sunday September 16th, Carew and I waited until all of the other kids were in bed and it was dark, and we carried out 2 big fluffy pillows and a big comfy blanket and spread it out on the front lawn and went star~gazing for our date!
It was so peaceful and beautiful and relaxing...and I cannot even tell you through words how good it felt to lay next to my son and have him talk and talk and talk.
 
I heard about everything from his wipe out crash on his bike and his scabbed up elbows and knees to his excitement behind spending his own money to buy Gavin a birthday present that he just KNEW would be his favorite! (And it was!!:) He pointed out new stars as the clouds would uncover them and even the fact that you could still find "happy faces" in the shapes of the clouds in the dark!
We had a wonderful night. I'm so thankful to be a mom and I am so thankful that my kids kind of like the parents that they've got! (Too bad if you don't because you are stuck with us for eternity!!!;)
 
I know that each one of us LOVES to feel loved and NEEDS to feel loved...so if we can do our best as parents to pass on that love, and show them even a portion of the amount of love that Heavenly Father has for them...then they will know it. Whatever we can give them, it will be enough.
 
Thank you Carew for being my son...for spending your time with me...for hugging me ALL of the time...and NOT being too embarrassed to give me a BIG hug and kiss when you are leaving for scout camp :)
Thank you for desiring to be good...for helping me learn how to be a good mom and for forgiving me when I'm not a very good one...
Thank you for trying to be a peacemaker when the little brothers can drive you CRAZY! ~And for always coming back in the house for one last hug goodbye and your happy smile as you head out into the world every day. You are good. You are special. You are loved....more than you will ever know!

1 comment:

Cherie said...

I really, really, REALLY want to do this for my kids! Goodness, I don't know why I got so emotional reading this... Life is so crazy busy, but it's time to quit making excuses, there is always time to spend with your family, you just have to make it a priority. Thanks Susette! :)