There are certain moments in this life that are hard to put into words, and yet are so completely meaningful and almost sacred that they need to be recorded. So, as I sit here tonight, I want to share my thoughts and feelings in my heart about two of the most special people in the world.
My parents.
This past week my mom had to undergo surgery to have part of her colon removed. This was something that my mom knew was necessary, but still was not looking forward to.
I sat in the hospital with my dad hoping that my company would somehow make it easier for him to wait out the time until the doctors would come and tell him that they were through and that everything was going to be alright.
I thought it was interesting how my dad somehow was transformed in my mind to a young love~ struck boy waiting for his girl. He was so sweet with her when they were sitting together in her room. The first day was hard, but my mom was under so much pain medication that she really didn't even know that we were there.
But, the second day, I watched the two of them reaching out for each other across bed rails and IVs and oxygen lines as if they just knew that one simple touch would bring comfort and stop the pain.
I watched as my dad helped her so tenderly...
holding her hand, putting the cold wash cloth over her eyes to comfort her headache that came from the medication...gently he wrapped her legs and propped up her pillow...
There truly is much to be learned from the love that has grown and evolved over time.
True love bares ALL things.
I am grateful I was able to witness a side of my parents that I always knew existed, but had never before appreciated with these spiritual eyes.
They are truly great examples to me and how I have learned to model my marriage.
Treat my love with the utmost dignity, love, and respect...and through the good and the bad, stand side by side and always be true, kind, and loving.
After visiting the hospital everyday, I have had an added "sacred" spirit to my holidays. Yes, they are fun and busy and exciting...but it is truly amazing to feel the Spirit of Christmas beside the bed of a sick loved one...especially my sweet mother.
Here is the lady who raised me, taught me, supported me, and loved me...took care of me when I was sick or sad or struggling...
Went to all of my track meets, cheer leading competitions, and bragged to all of her friends about me;)
...and now the roles are reversed.
I sit beside her hospital bed and offer soft words of encouragement. I put lotion on her feet and try to rub away a little bit of her pain...
I go to her and lean over her and hug her, rub her forehead, and brush her hair back.
I kiss her forehead and squeeze her arm...I'm sure that the feeling is mutual. I want her to be better, and she knows I want her to.
Today, she was so much better. I got to her bedside early and brushed her hair, painted her fingernails a light shade of pink and her toenails a bright Christmas red.
It brought such a big smile to both her and my dad. :)
I turned on some soft Christmas music and delighted in her relaxed facial expressions. The tension of pain disappeared from her face and we talked, and smiled and it was a peaceful day.
I love my mom and dad so much.
What wonderful people they are to have always given so much to their children. I will forever be grateful for their loving examples, and I am forever grateful to a kind and merciful Heavenly Father who hears and answers prayers and who is aware of our needs, our joys and our pains.
Get well soon mom, and have a very Merry Christmas.
I'll meet you at the hospital again tomorrow. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment