Heartstrings By Susette

Monday, November 1, 2010

"SPEED LIMIT 35"

I can hardly believe that it's already November! It feels as if the hands of time are turning faster and faster as the days pass by. So, in an effort to remind myself to take time to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life, I have been listening to President Uchtdorf's talk from this last conference titled, "Of Things That Matter Most." I love everything that he says in this talk! He reminds us that during some of the busiest, most hectic times in our lives, we need to slow down and SIMPLIFY! As I have listened to this talk over and over again, (almost daily now!) I find myself learning new things all of the time. (And just as Dieter relates almost all of his stories to airplanes, I seem to relate almost all of mine to running!) So, I guess I'll chalk this one up to just one more of "life's little lessons" that I learned on a run!
I was on my way home with only about a mile or so left to go, when I happened to look up just as I was passing a speed limit sign. It said, "SPEED LIMIT 35." Now, I don't know how many times I have passed a sign like this, but for some reason, today, this sign taught me something. A speed limit is just that. It's a limit. Not a challenge of "how much faster than that can I go?" Well, as I thought about this sign, I also realized that it was there to help me and to keep me safe. And - not coincidentally, the closer we get to home, the slower the speed limit gets. In some areas on the freeway we can travel at speeds of up to 75 mph! After we exit the freeway the speed limit drops to 50 then 45 then 35, then once inside our little neighborhood, the speed limit is a whopping 25 mph! So, as we continue to race on through this life, we need to be sure that the closer we get to home, the more we need to slow down! Doesn't it make perfect sense? Some of the most important work that we do in life happens within the walls of our own homes. Wouldn't it be sad if we were in too big of a hurry or we were in such a rush that we ended up missing out on those priceless opportunities? I know that I personally try to fill my day to the fullest with good things. But, I also know that there are millions of "good things" in the world and that I need to be selective on which ones I put my effort into and which ones can be left aside for another time. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who is kind enough and wise enough to help us learn and grow while we are here on this journey through life. I am grateful that He speaks to our hearts and minds in ways that we can understand, and if we are listening, we just might hear what it is that He is trying to tell us. This life truly is a gift and I am so happy to be reminded daily that there is a purpose and a plan to all of this! Now, if only I could figure out how to get the laundry done at freeway speed, and how to turn nap time into a "school zone!" Or hey, how about a "STOP" sign! THAT would be awesome!

1 comment:

Cherie said...

Susette, my goodness how I NEEDED this beautiful message today! (I know we just recently heard this talk at conference) But it's amazing (and sad) how quickly I forget. So thank you for your wonderful message. You. Rock. :)
Cherie