Heartstrings By Susette

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Horses and Turkeys and Fun! Oh My!

 Labor Day at the cabin was fun for the kids for lots of reasons, but mostly because of the horses!
We are lucky because our neighbor Hayden asked us if he could let his horses roam on our property, and by so doing, they eat the grass and help keep the grounds maintained, we don't have to pay the green belt taxes, AND the kids get to enjoy having their "very own" pet horses! ;)
 Harry, Molly, Miss Piggy, and a new horse that is still waiting to be named, all stood in line waiting for their turn to be fed, groomed, and even rode on! 
They are strong and beautiful animals and we all really enjoyed being around them...
 We also saw a whole bunch of turkeys on the property this time too! They seemed to be wandering around everywhere in groups of about 2 dozen...
...but I was mostly surprised to see them up in the tops of the trees!!!
Does that sound silly to say that I didn't even know that turkeys could fly??
Seriously!!! 
Every time I ever saw them they were walking around on the ground (or on a dinner plate :) but NEVER up in the air or in the trees!!! It was so fun to see!
 Also on Monday afternoon, Hayden came on to the property to saddle up his horses, and that was when he told us that he would leave Miss Piggy for us to ride on all day! Kambriella went with him and his little girl Kinley to bridle and saddle her up, and then he walked them back over for us. Watching Kambriella with the horses and her instinctive and natural love for these animals was so rewarding. She was in her element and loved every minute of it!
 She rode on Miss Piggy and talked to her and gave her commands, and learned how to make her listen to what she had to say and what she wanted to do. Horses are powerful animals and can be a little intimidating even when you are on the smallest one, so I was proud of Kambriella for exhibiting such confidence and poise. It helped little Kesslyn with her levels of confidence too...
 Kesslyn also enjoyed time in the kitchen making cookie dough balls for me to put in the oven. :) 
(And for her to put into her mouth. ;)
 Dallin gained a little confidence behind the wheel of the side by side driving up and down the driveway just to get used to the feel, AND to entertain his little siblings. ;)
 These kids had an awesome time and did NOT want to go home! But I don't blame them, neither did I!
 But like all good things, we had to bring it to a close and head home for work and school and all of the responsibilities of life...but as we headed down the road we ran into the turkeys AGAIN!
Question:
Why did the turkeys cross the road??? ;) ;) ;)
 Maybe it really was JUST to get to the other side!
All I know is I rolled down my window and told them that it was already September and that they needed to be prepared for the holiday that is coming up in a couple of months!!!
I think they thought I was crazy... ;)

But I also snapped this picture of the mountainside right by our property. It made me smile as I noticed the first signs of Autumn time and the trees beginning to change colors. It made me happy and excited for it all...
All of the beautiful, fun, and exciting days that continue to roll out in front of us. I love each day and the adventures that come, and I love looking forward to the ones that will greet us tomorrow!

No comments: