Heartstrings By Susette

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Christmas Day 2018

 Christmas Eve 2018 found us all cozy back at home after our fun nights away with long lost friends.
 Santa delivered Christmas pajamas to the kids like he does every year, and everyone was happy, excited, and ready for bed. :)

A few months ago, we had a conversation with our children about Christmas. We let them choose if they would rather spend money on getting each other gifts for Christmas, or saving that money and putting it towards our family trip that we will be taking coming up here at the end of May and into June. They unanimously agreed that instead of getting gifts, we should save the money and spend more TIME together and make our family trip a little longer. 
I was so pleased that that was what they all wanted to do! Not only did it make Christmas so much more simple and meaningful, but it told me that my children are understanding the worth of monetary things verses TIME and relationships and building memories. I would much rather spend my money on DOING things together rather  than BUYING things for each other.
With all of that being said, Christmas morning was simple, and the kids were excited to see what Santa would bring, since they knew that was all they would be getting. (Or so they thought ;) ;)
 Coincidentally, Santa had brought each of the children a suitcase (loaded with things ;), a back pack (to be used for a carry on item), and a similarly shaped wrapped gift...
 Santa is just so good that way...he must have known that we were saving for our trip coming up and knew that these would be things that would help us to prepare for that trip!
 But, little did Santa know (or maybe he did ;) that Clint and I had a surprise all our own for the children this year!
 I could hardly contain myself as they were busy looking at their stockings and the treasures that Santa brought...
 Inside their suitcases Santa brought each of them new swimming suits and beach towels, flip flops and clothes, and all kinds of fun things that they could use on their trip!
 They also got travel activities and movies...things that would be perfect for the surprise that Clint and I had planned!!!
(But HOW did Santa know??)
 As they ooed and awed over their new treasures, I got more and more excited for the next events our morning would bring...
 We were awaiting a phone call from our favorite missionary Anziano Trickett...
 ...and while we waited the children opened their wrapped gift from Santa only to find "beach themed" Minky blankets for everyone! Sail boats and surf boards, pineapples, and Minnie Mouse...
(Oh my goodness Santa! You are so good! Your gifts to the children not only got them excited for their upcoming family trip, but it also went hand in hand with the surprise gift that Clint and I had yet to give these kiddos that morning!!!)
 At 9:00 a.m.our excited family gathered around our little laptop screen and had a Merry Christmas visit with Carew!!! It was the BEST Christmas present a mother could ask for!!! We got to spend a whole hour talking to Carew and seeing his cute face! It was so good to hear his voice, and to see his expressions...to hear him laugh and tell us how much he loves us all...We all genuinely had a wonderful time talking with him, and with every belly laugh that everyone would make, I felt a surge of gratitude and excitement for the future moments that we will spend as a family laughing and catching up when we are all together again...it was seriously the BEST.
 I love him! I love my family! And I love the times that we share together. I love what Carew is busy doing, and I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love that by him spending 2 years out there teaching and serving others, that at the same time he is busy building characteristics that will mold him into a loving future husband and father one day. These are the things that a mother prays for, and these are the things that money could never buy. I am so grateful for our Savior, and for this amazing restored gospel. It is the foundation of all that is good in my life, founded upon our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, whose birth is the reason we celebrate Christmas Day.
 After our visit with Carew had to come to a close, we said our goodbyes and then moved on over by the Christmas tree where we found 1 hidden letter and gift among the branches. We handed the letter to the kids and told them that we just couldn't go without giving them JUST 1 gift! So, we wanted them to unscramble the letters that were in their envelope to see what it said their gift would be...
They could NOT figure out what the words said...(probably because they were thinking of a "gift" and not a "place" which is what we were giving them!)
Finally after minutes had gone by, Clint and I gave them a clue...
"Just think of one of your very favorite places to go..."
BEACH HOUSE!!! Dallin yells out...
"Do the letters spell it out?" I asked with a smile...:)
Yes they did!!!
And as they put the letters together, they were still unsure of what we were saying, so I handed them the small gift box that held individual gift cards to Disneyland. :)
In shock, disbelief, and pure JOY they all jumped around...Are we going to the Beach House and Disneyland???
Yes! I said...RIGHT NOW!!!! So go take these awesome gifts that Santa brought you and go pack a bag! We are going to the beach !!! They were sooo excited and literally in disbelief. They kept on stopping what they were doing and came over to give me hugs. Thank you Mom! You and Dad are the BEST!
Their excitement, enthusiasm, and gratitude was priceless. :)
So, we literally loaded up in the car and drove away...and Yes, those exhausted sleeping faces popped out once again. :)
 We stopped for Chinese for our Christmas dinner in St. George (Fa Ra ra ra ra, Ra ra ra ra. ;) and spent the night in Mesquite. Then headed on the rest of the way to the beach house on the day after Christmas. What a FUN surprise and wonderful way to celebrate Christmas and the end of one AMAZING year, by being with the PEOPLE you love in a place that you love! It was the best and we seriously may have a new tradition on our hands!!! We will see what next year brings!!! It was definitely a VERY Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: