Heartstrings By Susette

Thursday, January 24, 2019

"Remodel" Our Homes

 "The new home-centered, Church-supported integrated curriculum has the potential to unleash the power of families, as each family follows through conscientiously and carefully to transform their home into a sanctuary of faith. I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, over time your Sabbath days will truly be a delight. Your children will be excited to learn and to live the Savior’s teachings, and the influence of the adversary in your life and in your home will decrease. Changes in your family will be dramatic and sustaining." ~ Russell M. Nelson

With President Nelson's invitation to "remodel" our homes into centers of gospel learning, I had decided that I wanted to purchase a new painting of Christ that would invite a new and special spirit with all that we will be doing as a family. I fell in love with this painting by Brent Borrup titled "Come Follow Me" which also happens to be the name of the curriculum that we are studying together at home as a family.
I was SO excited for the picture to arrive, and to feel the impact that it would have hanging in my home.
Image result for brent borup artwork
Sadly though, when it arrived, the picture was damaged and printed so dark that I felt it needed to be returned and replaced for a new one. After all, something so meaningful to me deserved the proper care and beauty to display...
but it also made me think of the Savior being "bruised, broken, and torn for us..."
Ironically, one of the defects of the picture was a staple pressed deep into the wood of the frame, reminding me of the nails that were driven into the Savior's hands, wrists, and feet. It taught me a valuable lesson and made me think, "Am I willing to receive the Savior into my life in EVERY situation? Bruised, broken, torn or NOT?? The answer was YES. :)
I received the picture, and am attempting to "make it right." I am sending it back to get a new one, which is the right thing to do in this situation, but as for my spiritual eyes and accepting Christ the Lord, I am committed to "receiving" Him, following Him, and trying to help my family to "Come" and follow Him.
I am excited for a new print to come and anticipate making ready the space we will "let Him in." Both physically and spiritually we are trying hard as a family to grow in the gospel as we are learning the Savior's voice and expressions of love to "Come Follow Me."

No comments: