Heartstrings By Susette

Monday, January 28, 2019

"Come Follow Me" at the Temple!

Yesterday evening Clint and I took the kiddos for a drive up to the Draper temple where we planned to do our "Come Follow Me" lesson with the perfect visual of "Light-vs-dark" to teach the things that we felt our family needed to learn from this week's lesson. 
I LOVE how in the beginning of every lesson, we are reminded to record the impressions WE receive, and what messages do YOU find that will be of most value to you and your family...
I love that we each have that gift and ability to receive PERSONAL revelation, and then have the ability to ACT upon it. I loved everything that I learned this week about the "light that shineth in the darkness", and how I felt prompted to teach it to my family AT the temple...
 After we arrived at the temple, we laid all the seats down in our suburban and cuddled up with our pillows and blankets, which believe me took a few minutes just to get everyone situated... ;)
 Then we opened up the back end of the suburban and waited for the lights to go down, and then had our lesson and discussion while enjoying one of our very favorite views...looking at the temple. 
We spoke of all of the ways that we recognize the Savior and His light in our lives each day, and what we can do to be ready to "recognize" Him when He comes again. These children were very tuned in, and are very aware of what they need to be doing, start doing, or continue doing...
They are such amazing little spirits and I feel so privileged to be their mother.
 We talked about the difference between the Light of the World and "the world" that is in darkness and what we can do to be like Jesus' apostles to spread the gospel to others so that they too can receive that light that brings the most joy. 
John 1: 5 says, "And the light shineth in the darkness and the darkness comprehended it not."
The JST of John 1: 5 says, "And the light shineth in the world, and the world perceiveth it not."
So the Light of the world is Jesus Christ. He came into the world to save us, but the people did not know or even recognize Him when He came. It is up to US to be missionaries and share the gospel light so that others will be able to recognize that truth, and recognize HIM when He comes again. I love that these simple truths are taught so beautiful just by looking upon the beauty of the temple. 
As we were driving up to the temple Kambriella said to me..."Mom, I just love all the lights you can see from way up here! They remind me of all of the angels out there..." 
Then there was little Kesslyn who was wearing her two glow in the dark lights on a string around her neck that she got from her primary class today. She also said to me, "Mommy! I'm going to shine my light everywhere!!!" These simple truths brought the spirit so strongly to my heart and I KNEW that what we were doing was good and right and JUST what my family needed.
Alma 37 :6-7 says, "...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass, and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about His great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls."
 I am LOVING this new time together as a family and the Come Follow Me curriculum. I am already able to see how the promised blessings from President Nelson of  "our Sabbath truly being a delight" and that "our children will be excited to learn and to live the Savior's teachings" are already coming to pass.

After we finished up our lesson I passed around the car a "treasure box" for everyone to choose a small treat from after they shared with us which temple was their favorite, and which one they hoped to marry in one day. They also had to try and guess which temple was their dad's favorite (which was tricky, but hey, he's a Trickett ;)...and he said, "My favorite one is the one I am in at the time with your mom."
Ooo I love that boy, and Ooo I love the temple!!!


No comments: