Heartstrings By Susette

Monday, July 13, 2020

Ministering in His Master Plan

While I was gone with my family on our last trip, I received word that one of our dear neighbors had fallen and hit her head, sustaining injuries that took her life.
Ellen Huffman was a beautiful and faithful 82 year old sister and friend, and will be greatly missed, especially by her best friend Virginia.
Today is Ellen's funeral.
Virginia and I had the opportunity to go to the funeral home together on Friday to participate in dressing Ellen's body in her temple clothes.
I had never had that experience before, but it was very sacred, tender, and bitter sweet.
I held onto Virginia's arm walking her into the room where we found Ellen. I smiled as I watched Virginia hold Ellen's hand and rub her arm...I told Virginia that I knew Ellen was smiling down on her.
We hugged and cried.
I felt it such an important part of ministering to Virginia as anything because she misses and loves Ellen so much. The picture that Virginia is holding is one of  her and Ellen together in our friend's back yard at her son's wedding reception, and the same one that they used for Ellen's obituary picture.
This photograph of Virginia holding this picture is very special to me too for lots of reasons...
I have been serving as Relief Society President for almost 4 years now, and this picture is a great visual representation of lots that we have seen...smiles and joy, weddings and funerals, heartache and sadness, but then times of love, comfort, and support. Arms wrapped around each other in unity and love...the mask reminds me of the many things we have seen and felt during a worldwide pandemic...4 months so far of home church and missing gathering with our brothers and sisters, and knowing that every family and individual out there is facing challenges and the tests of life, and that we NEED each other, and we need to minister to one another continually. We are not meant to go this life alone, and THAT is the beauty of ministering.
Heavenly Father is SO wise, and I have had my testimony strengthened time and time again as I have witnessed His loving hand in His master plan.

No comments: