Heartstrings By Susette

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Goodbye to the Queen

I was at the store when I received a phone call that there were emergency vehicles at Bernice's house, and somehow I immediately knew that it was time for our sweet friend to go home.
I believe the Comforter immediately accompanied me that night as I drove to Bernice's home with quite a mix of emotions. After all, it had only been a few months prior that I had a very real dream about Bernice singing to me that she was "going to her home," and after being awoken from my sleep in hearing my name called out loud 3 times, I rushed to her house to find her sleeping peacefully, and knew that this must be a soft prompting and preparation for saying goodbye. Every interaction with Bernice became a special celebration because I never knew if it would be my last one with her in this life.
During the pandemic visits were impossible, but I counted myself lucky because in September I was able to care for her for a week while her granddaughter went to visit family. What a precious and treasured week of my life, to spend with "the queen."
So, on Friday November 13th, I pulled up to Bernice's home to find emergency responders in her home along with her granddaughter Kelly, and I went right in and listened carefully to what was being said. Her heart was failing and it was time. Time to get ready to say one last goodbye.
A little over an hour after I left Bernice's house, Kelly texted me that Bernice had passed away. We both agreed that it would have been so sweet to witness the amazing reunion in heaven that night!
After years of wondering when this sweet girl would head home (because not too many people live to be 102!) I was so extremely grateful for the circumstances in which Bernice left us...she was at home, in her bed, with Kelly and other loved ones by her side...and the circumstances could not have been more compassionate or optimal...what a blessed tender mercy.
After I left Bernice's home I went directly into my car and said a prayer to Heavenly Father thanking Him for these favorable circumstances in which our sweet grandma could leave this life. I was so happy for Bernice and Kelly that they could have this tender experience with hand held in hand, and the opportunity to give thanks, express love, and have the opportunity to say goodbye,  or maybe I should say "until we meet again..."
The following Thursday, November 19th (also my mom's birthday) I attended the viewing and funeral services for Bernice. It was a beautiful and happy celebration of her life, and the stories and memories filled my soul with even more love for my sweet sweet friend.
I loved visiting with Kelly and watching her tenderly come to an acceptance of the circumstances that she was facing. Feelings of joy and sadness, gratitude and loss, and beginning the journey of finding her new path in life after so many selfless years dedicated to serving her sweet grandmother Bernice. Now, she can look forward to new experiences that she will have, and enjoy the added wisdom and watchful care of her guardian angel grandma...what will the future bring? Many more years of selflessness and dedication to her family, no doubt.
After the funeral was over and it was time to go, I walked outside to see the most elegant coach awaiting the queen...just look at Bernice in her pink casket in the most fitting ride...fit for a queen!
The smile on my face reflected the smile in my heart as I drove away from Bernice one last time...
..and then as I noticed the literal crown on the molding of the window above  Bernice, I could hardly believe my eyes. This truly was a ride fit for a Queen! :)
I will forever cherish all of the memories I have with Bernice, and will be forever grateful for the love and confidence she instilled into my children who affectionately call Bernice "Grandma" as well.
We love you and will miss seeing your smile and hearing your laugh Bernice!
Until we meet again...XOXOXOXO

No comments: