Heartstrings By Susette

Monday, December 18, 2017

Finding Christmas! ~ The Gift of Time!

 On Friday as the kids arrived home from school, they were pleasantly surprised by a gift left on our front porch with 2 letters attached...It was the GIFT OF TIME!!!! :)
Every year Santa delivers our family small gifts and letters sending us out to do fun things together and celebrating our TIME together more than the gifts that we will receive at Christmas...that's why he calls it "The Gift of Time!"
 In the letter Santa told our family that he has noticed all of the big changes in our family this year, and how Carew and Kierra are not at home...he is asking the kids to FIND CHRISTMAS!!! Is their Christmas wrapped up underneath the tree? Is it in Italy, or in Colorado? WHERE is Christmas???
They are being sent on a mission to FIND CHRISTMAS!!!
As they read their 1st letter, they were told to see if Christmas was at their cousins house...:)
 They were given comfy sweats to put on and go have a Polar Express movie night at their cousins house! They were so excited to begin the Gift of Time!
 Then, on Saturday after morning basketball games, I went out shopping while the kids all stayed home and played with their cousin. They would call me periodically to check in and see how things were going, and I told them that while I was out I had actually seen Santa and that he told me that he was going to be coming by our house and for those kids to be good! ;)
Sure enough, Kambriella called not to much later while I was still out shopping and said that Santa had brought another Gift of Time!!! This time, we were to go out to eat and have an Italian dinner, and take our flat missionary brother Carew with us! We were to try to FIND CHRISTMAS with him and talk about the sacrifices that Carew is making by being out on his mission right now, and what sacrifices WE are making by having him gone too...they were all so sweet in their responses, but I loved that each of the kids recognized that the time away from family is HUGE! (And away from Kate! They all love Kate... :)
 We ate pizza but all agreed that Carew's pizza is probably WAY better...:) AND I LOVED that the table we sat at was a huge map of ITALY!!! It was like Santa must have had that table made just for us and it made the thoughts of Carew even that much more special and meaningful. It was AWESOME. :)
 Also while we were there we ran into Kambriella's primary teachers! And he actually also used to be our bishop! We LOVE the Higgin's and it was a bonus to our night. :)
Just as we were all getting ready to leave, Kambriella said, "Mom, just a minute, I need to get one more thing..." I almost stopped her because it was a buffet style restaurant and you really aren't allowed to grab something on your way out...but she said, "Don't worry, I'm not going to eat it..."
She had me puzzled! So, I followed her without her seeing me, only to find that she had gone over and gotten a plate and put a dessert pizza on it and delivered it to her teacher as a surprise for her!
What a sweetie!!! I had no idea that that was what she was going to do...but I was soooo glad that I didn't stop her from getting that "one last thing" before we headed out! :) What a little sweetie!
 After we had gone home, the boys all went to Gavin's late basketball game, and Kambriella and I sat down by the Christmas tree and read a few stories together. The one called Snow Angels was one of Kambriella's favorites and it quickly inspired her to make some sugar cookies that were found in the back of that book! She was determined and wanted to do it ALL by herself! So, that's what she set out to do! And she did! :)
 The dough had to be refrigerated over night, so that is where it is right now...waiting to be rolled out, cut, and baked. :) It will be something fun we will do hopefully in the next day or so...Christmas is so fun and so full of so many wonderful traditions...We are grateful for all we have, all we get to do together, and that we are FINDING CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments: