Inspired
Ministering – By Susette Trickett
Leadership
Session, Riverton Summerhill Stake Conference February 6, 2021
In the beginning
of 1 Nephi 11, Nephi says “I had desired to know the things that my father had
seen,” and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I
sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea,
into an exceedingly high mountain which I never before had seen, and upon which
I never had before set my foot. “
I just love how
when we read the scriptures we can liken things unto ourselves, and as I read
this again just the other day, the Spirit taught me a new lesson, not about
Nephi wanting to see the vision of the tree of Life that his father Lehi had
seen, but this scripture was teaching me about inspired ministering. I thought
to myself, “I desire to behold the things which MY Father sees...I want to have
the same love for and the same view of my brothers and sisters as Heavenly Father
has, and I, like Nephi, believe that the Lord is able to make these things
known unto me if I will do my part. If I will sit and ponder these things in my
heart, then I too can be caught away in the Spirit of the Lord to know how best
to minister to His children. We too can be lifted up into an exceedingly high
mountain, even up to that higher and holier place of ministering to our
brothers and sisters in the most sincere and loving way that our Father would
have us do. Brothers and sisters, we CAN through inspired ministering see things
in which we never before have seen and even go places upon which we never
before have set foot. When we see things as Heavenly Father sees, we WILL see
miracles and accomplish the work of inspired ministering.
Heavenly Father
knows each of us individually, and that is how we need to minister, ONE BY ONE.
While I was gone with my family on a trip last summer, I received a phone call
that a sister in our ward had fallen and hit her head sustaining injuries that
took her life. Her ministering companion was also her very best friend in the
ward, and together, her and I had the sacred opportunity of helping to dress
her body in her temple clothes When we arrived at the mortuary, I held this
sister’s arm while walking her into the room where her best friend’s body lay.
I smiled while holding back tears as I watched this sister hold her friend’s lifeless
hand and tenderly rub her arm. I felt it
such an important part of ministering to this sweet sister as anything because
she missed and loved her friend so much. But what I love is how she taught me.
I was there to help and comfort her, but instead she taught me what ministering
to “the one” looks like. And in such a sensitive
setting where the veil was so thin, the vision of what “my Father sees” was very
clear to me that day.
Not only does
Inspired Ministering come from loving the one, but it also comes from spending
valued and precious TIME with individuals...time building trust, building friendships,
confidence, and lasting relationships. I remember one day I sat in relief
society and felt impressed to look behind me at a certain sister who had
recently become a young widow. As I turned to look for her, my eyes caught her
just in time to see her slipping quickly out the door. The Spirit told me to go
after her. I stood and walked out of the room, but as I entered the hall, she
was nowhere to be found. I asked Heavenly Father, “Where should I go?” And then
the Spirit spoke to me, “Go where she would go.” So I took a deep breath and
headed to my car. I started driving and said a prayer that I would have the
right words to say, and then as I drove to the cemetery, I saw her sitting at
her husband’s grave. When I got out of the car and walked over to her she said,
“How did you find me?” I simply responded, “I just knew.” Now what I learned
from this lesson is how very important it is to KNOW those we minister to. The
spirit did not tell me, “Go to the cemetery” but it said, “Go where she would
go.” I was grateful for the extended length of TIME that we had spent with each
other and that in her hour of need, I knew her heart and where she would go
Once again, as I tried ministering to her, she was ministering to me by
teaching me. That day I feel that I was “caught away in the Spirit of the Lord”
and not necessarily into a high mountain, but rather just around the corner to
the cemetery.
As we continue
to minister with guidance and inspiration from the Spirit, I also believe that
we WILL see miracles through our service. One day I felt impressed to go and
visit one of the widow’s in our ward. She seemed quiet and a little shy, and so
I went for a friendly visit just so that I could get to know her better. But, while
I was there, I felt like I should ask her if she would like to be a ministering
sister. So, I listened to the spirit and said, “How would you feel about being
a ministering sister?” She responded very quickly, “Oh no, I am not good at
that, I could never do that!” Then, with words that were not my own I said,
“That’s OK, I understand. But would you be interested in being a member of my
Scatter Sunshine committee?” Now at this point I didn’t even have a scatter
sunshine committee, nor did I have a clue what had just come out of my mouth!
She asked me, “What does a scatter sunshine committee do??” Then I replied, “You
would watch for people who need a friend, or a pick me up if they are having a
hard time...you would just scatter sunshine!” Then this fine sister smiled at
me and said, “Sure, I can do that.” And THAT was the beginning of my Scatter
Sunshine committee! I was experiencing that “exceedingly high mountain which I
never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.” Through
ministering service I was seeing a miracle, and seeing the potential and good
in this sister that my Heavenly Father knew was in her all along.
Brothers and
sisters, I know that inspired ministering happens when we see others the way
that our Heavenly Father sees them, and that when we minister one by one, and spend
valuable time with individuals, we see miracles. This is our Savior’s work of
whom I testify of, and of whom we are privileged to labor alongside of, in the
name of Jesus Christ Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment