Heartstrings By Susette

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A Little Lesson


This morning as I was getting my little ones off to school, Kesslyn accidentally knocked Kambriella's hot chocolate off the kitchen counter and onto the floor.
Saying that it made a BIG mess would be an understatement!
Her and I were on our knees wiping down walls, baseboards, the fridge, the floor, the bar stools, the island, her baby chair, the counter...

I distinctly remember thinking to myself, 
"I'm so thankful for what I have learned in getting to be a mom..."

This type of situation could have made me really annoyed or frustrated, but instead I told Kesslyn, 
"Thank you for making sure mommy got the floor mopped today!!"

I know that as she put her little chubby hand on my back while I scrubbed the floor, she was trying to tell me that she was sorry, and didn't know, and that I was doing a great job cleaning!"  :)

Later in the day as I held Kesslyn on my lap ( lucky to be with my mom again) and she ate a chocolate covered strawberry for the 1st time, I watched her and learned...
She was experiencing life for herself...both the messy and the good!
She was "tasting the fruit" and knew it was sweet!

I know that's one of my most important jobs as a mother, to help build up my children, guide them as they learn and grow, love them with all of my heart, might, mind, and strength (even when they make BIG messes!), and help them to "taste of the fruit" and to desire to know and follow Jesus Christ and to become true disciples...


President Uchtdorf said in a recent conference talk that
"...those who want to improve and progress, those who learn of the Savior and desire to be like Him, those who humble themselves as a LITTLE CHILD and seek to bring their thoughts and actions into harmony with our Father in Heaven ~ they will experience the miracle of the Savior's Atonement. They will surely feel God's resplendent Spirit. They will taste the indescribable joy that is the fruit of a meek and humble heart. They will be blessed with the desire and discipline to become true disciples of Jesus Christ."

I know this is true and am so grateful that being a mother is teaching me more and more everyday how to become a true disciple of Christ.
 Through little lessons that are both sweet AND messy, this life is a journey and I'm loving it!

No comments: