Heartstrings By Susette

Monday, October 8, 2018

Amazing General Conference

WOW.
What a weekend!!!
I hope my thoughts can come out organized onto this blog, because they are all over the place, and my heart is SO FULL!!!
We celebrated and participated in the 188th General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, and I can only say that it was a spiritual feast.
I LOVE this gospel with all my heart, I LOVE our leaders and their unwavering faith and testimonies, and I LOVE this eternal family of mine!!!

Dallin and Gavin went to the temple on Thursday in preparation for conference...they are participating in the gathering of scattered Israel through temple work!
 Kesslyn helped me prepare the food, our home, and some of our fun traditions that go right along with general conference weekend too!!!
 My heart melted as my sweet little Kambriella presented me with a homemade invitation to attend the women's session of general conference with her on Saturday!
Last year was her first time being old enough to go and so I had made her a special invitation to go with me, and this time, SHE made ME the special invitation! Yes, she is her mother's daughter and I love it. :)
 We were so happy to have the whole weekend to absorb the Spirit that filled our home with the talks and inspiration from general conference. The historical changes of church going from a 3 hour block to a 2 hour block and enabling more time at home for families to study the gospel together there in the home to strengthen one another is a true gift  to me a s a mother.
I have always tried to focus on living and teaching the gospel in my home, but NOW I feel as if heaven is cheering us on even more in an even greater cause than before! I can only imagine the strength and bonds that will be built as we participate in this home based gospel learning together! 
I. Am. Excited!!!
 One thing that was special to me this weekend was that Tiffany and her family wanted to come to our house and participate in General Conference TOGETHER. They have really been trying to increase their spiritual efforts and church activity, and I am so proud of them for all of their efforts! I KNOW that Heavenly Father is going to bless them and all of His children who strive to do what is right. 
It was also really fun to share in the fun "Conference Store" tradition that the kids love. :) They earn "conference cash" when they are being good and listening, and at the end of conference they get to "buy" treats with their conference cash. It is always a fun side to the spiritual feast of the weekend.
These are righteous family traditions that I hope will continue on for years to come!
One thing that really stood out to me in conference (along with many other wonderful things) was my answer to the question I had been pondering for a while now...
"How can I be better at receiving personal revelation?"
I have always known that Heavenly Father speaks to me the best through the scriptures, through prayer, time in the temple, and through the whisperings of the Spirit. But I have felt that ever since President Nelson challenged us 6 months ago in the previous conference to "increase our capacity to receive personal revelation" that I have wanted to do better, and to be better. The spirit taught me during and after general conference that I should continue forward with faith in those righteous things that I already know, and then increase my efforts by moving forward in faith by DOING. 
Just as the woman with the issue of blood stretched forth her hand and did ALL that she could to ACT IN FAITH, so should I go and DO the things that I know will bring about good. I must not waste too much time pondering the PERFECT way to go about doing the good, but with the spirit DO the good, and He will continue to enlighten my mind with every action that I take, with every service that I give, with every effort that I put forth...I will be strengthened and come ever closer to the spirit who prompts me, teaches me, and leads me to action. By being moved to ACTION, I will be more receptive to the blessings of the spirit and my capacity to receive personal revelation.
I will truly know that Heavenly Father is speaking to ME.
I love that it seems so clear when we really listen to that still small voice.
I am grateful for the things that I know to be true, and for my Savior Jesus Christ whose church this is, and to whom I belong. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: