Heartstrings By Susette

Friday, August 18, 2017

More Scriptures

 Yesterday was a day spent at home that was much needed! After a busy summer and being on the go, we really needed a day to get caught up on our household chores. Especially as we are already preparing to go back to school next week! CRAZY!!!
Anyway...as I was busy helping in Kambriella's room organizing toys, bookshelves, and a little work space for her, Kesslyn kept running in and out of the room keeping herself busy and letting me know whenever she felt like she needed to go potty! ;) (Which seemed to be about every 5 minutes;)
One time though after it had seemed to be a while since she came running back in, Kambriella and I went to check on her to see what she was doing, and this is what we found...:)
Kesslyn was sitting in her rocking chair in her room reading her "kipas" (scriptures!)
We peeked around the edge of the doorway so that Kesslyn wouldn't see us and so we wouldn't interrupt her...but seriously my heart was about ready to melt!!! WHAT a SWEETIE!!!
 Everyday before nap time and each night at bedtime Kesslyn and I rock in this rocking chair and read "her scriptures." It is actually a Book of Mormon Reader. It has all of the stories from the Book of Mormon but just condensed and with lots of pictures, and written in words that are easier for a little child to understand. She loves me to read them to her, but this was the 1st time I had seen her reading them by herself...It made my mommy heart so happy!
Then, we were caught!
She looked up at us like, "WHAT are you guys doing??"
 So then I walked in close to her to get a better look and then did what any mom would do...
I sat down in the chair with her, rocked her and read "more kipas."
This little moment reminds me of a story from this past general conference that I want to share...
"TRUST IN THE LORD AND LEAN NOT"
by: Bonnie H. Cordon
"Several months ago we were having family scripture study. My two-year-old grandson was sitting on my lap as we read. I was in full-blown grandma mode, relishing the visit of my son’s family. With our scripture study complete, I closed my book. My grandson knew that it would soon be bedtime. He looked up with his eager blue eyes and spoke an eternal truth: “More scriptures, Nana.” My son, a good and consistent parent, warned me, “Mom, don’t be a weak link. He is just trying to get out of going to bed.” But when my grandson asks for more scriptures, we read more scriptures!"
I guess Kesslyn just wanted "more scriptures!"  ;)

No comments: