Friday afternoon was such a beautiful, warm spring day! I was so excited (and so were the kids!) to finally get to go on our Easter walk! This is one of our favorites that we do each year during our Easter celebration, and this week was so busy with everyone's different after school activities that we kept on having to move it back, until finally we were able to go!
(...and in case you were wondering, I'm learning to be VERY flexible! ;)
We brought Carew with us on our walk, and I prepared an individual bag of "Easter treats" for each one of my kids. In the bag were found:
-Life savers to represent a crown
-Pretzel sticks to represent beams that were used to make a cross
-Goldfish crackers to represent something dead
-A chocolate hippo to represent something that was alive
-An OREO to represent something black for the 3 days of darkness
-Oyster crackers to represent the round stone rolled in front of the tomb
-Red gummi bears to represent His blood
Before we started the walk, I read the first few pages of the book that tells a story of a Grandpa who takes his grandchildren on their own Easter walk to find these symbols of Easter. In the story these children had their mother pass away and learning about the Resurrection brought them so much peace...it's such a sweet and tender story. So, we also head out on our walk and look for these symbols of Easter. (I just add the symbols in the snacks too because it's fun, and hey, what kid do you know that doesn't love a fun snack? :)
As we would walk and look for each symbol, when we would find one we would then sit down and read the next part of the story, until by the end of the walk, we had completed the story and found each symbol.
I love this tradition because it incorporates the scriptures, the spirit, time together amidst Heavenly Father's beautiful creations, fresh air, a healthy family activity, and attention to things that really matter. I felt the spirit very much while we participated in this activity, and even after we finished the story, I had a great time just talking with my kids as we walked home.
It was a good afternoon on a Good Friday. :)
Happy Easter week everyone!



No comments:
Post a Comment