On Saturday, March 31st, we were up and out of the house by 7:00 a.m.to go on our traditional "Sunrise Hike" at Ensign Peak. This activity is the children's favorite and it makes me so happy because honestly, I think it is one of mine too!
I had everyone go to bed in their sweats so that we could literally just roll out of bed and go! I also had everyone the night before pack a breakfast bag to bring on the hike with orange juice, pastries and muffins, and beef jerky.
We woke everyone up, climbed in the car, turned on peaceful music, and instructed everyone to go back to sleep until we got there. :) They were so obedient too...;)
As we started up the path I kept smiling to myself because I could already tell that Kesslyn was in heaven (along with the other kids of course. :) You just never know how a 2 year old will react when she's trying something new, but the skip in her little step told me that her little soul was full of joy, and I LOVED it!
Each time I do one of these devotional hikes, I prepare scriptures with a thought that will teach the children something important that I feel strongly that I want them to know. So this time, we focused on lessons we could learn that would bring us closer to the Savior.
I had 4 lanyards that I gave to the kids, and then I had 4 envelopes with scriptures and a corresponding charm that they would receive to hang on their lanyard to be a reminder for them of what it was we had talked about.
Each time we would stop to talk about something, the kids would have a snack, catch their breath, and we would talk about a new scripture.Each child took a turn reading a scripture and distributing the charms.
We talked about the scriptures when Nephi broke his bow and prayed to know what to do...he went to the mountain to pray and was instructed how to make a new one out of wood. He was also guided by the liahona on where he should hunt for food and was able to provide abundantly for his family.
Each of the kids received a charm that looked round like a compass and we talked about praying to receive direction, answers, revelation in our own lives, and help from God. We will have trials, but it is how you face those trials that will be the test...
We also read scriptures about Jesus walking on the water and having faith. They received seashells to remind them of the Sea of Galilee and the miracles Jesus performed there. We also talked about being anchored in Christ and holding to the rod of iron, and staying on the straight and narrow path...receiving charms of arrows and anchors.
We also talked about being an example of the believers through the things we say, do, read, listen to, watch, and how we share our testimonies and teach other people, receiving charms of a missionary bike, a cassette tape, scripture bag, and a sea turtle...
By the time we got to the top they had earned all of their charms, and we were the only ones there! We had made it to "the top" together! (Which is exactly what I plan to do spiritually...make it to the "top" with my ENTIRE family! NO ONE left behind!!! :)
Kesslyn was so happy the entire time and was really feeling the love! (Especialy when Clint and I would hug or kiss...:)...she would squeeze right in so that we were sure we knew she was there.;)
I am a blessed mother with amazing and resilient spirits to raise. And just when I think I might be teaching them, I quickly realize that THEY are the ones teaching ME!
(This picture below is our version of a "family photo!" Since there wasn't anyone to ask to take our picture, we included Clint's shadow, see? :)
We enjoyed the view and ate our snacks, looked over the valley to spot the temples, talked about general conference and how we can apply the things we hear into the things we have learned and will continue to learn, and felt gratitude for this wonderful time that we are living in where the gospel surrounds us...
I am grateful that Clint goes right along with every early morning activity, late night plan, and spontaneous teaching moment that we have together...
We tell each other all the time that we make a GREAT team, and we do!!!
I felt a deep sense of gratitude for my husband as we walked back down the trail together. I loved watching his tenderness and patience with little Kesslyn as he helped her safely down the mountain. He has always been such a kind and loving father and my children are so lucky to have him.
We made it back down the mountain in a fraction of the time that it took us to hike up!
...still talking and laughing all the way down. :)
I love watching my kids learn that they can do hard things, because no matter what happens in their lives, I KNOW they are strong, and they were made for this!
Kambriella was a little trailblazer and forged on in front of us most of the hike!
By the time we made it back down and took a few last pictures, we had just enough time to get back home and be prepared to begin watching conference! What an AWESOME beginning to an absolutely AWESOME general conference Easter weekend!




















No comments:
Post a Comment