I think it was around 1 a.m.that I finally retired to bed on Christmas Eve...for me it is a night of peace, comfort, and quiet anticipation for the joyful squeals of laughter and delight that will come in the morning...
It is a night where everyone is happy resting in their beds, all the work and preparation for a "perfect" Christmas day is finally coming to an end, and I can sit in the stillness of the night admiring the feelings of happiness, contentment, gratitude, awe, and wonder in the receipt of the REAL gift of Christmas.
I could really stay up all night on Christmas Eve and bask in this peace...(but I know I would pay for it the next day...;)
I love reflecting on all of my blessings, and all of the many ways that I continually see the hand of the Lord in my life...not just at Christmas time, but every other day of the year! Having the gospel of Jesus Christ makes this just the way life is...you receive gifts and feel of His love daily, and you do your part to do what is right, keep the commandments of God, and then give back in any small way that you can. It's what makes life so joyful...and THAT is exactly what Christmas is to me...the gospel of Jesus Christ and His love all throughout the year!
So...when we all woke up in the morning, the children were all giddy and READY to see what was inside of the beautifully wrapped packages...but of course this mama had to be sure that PERSPECTIVE was understood. So, we sat as a family and talked about the true reason for this awesome celebration, had a family prayer, and watched the video of Christ's birth. I just feel like putting Him first in everything, will keep our priorities in line, even if that means we talk of Him BEFORE we open presents. :)
We also talked about our missionary Carew and how much we love and appreciate his sacrifices for everyone especially at this time of year when it's probably pretty hard to be away from family...We were all so excited to get to talk to him! It was the only present I wanted that day. :)
Dallin and Gavin kept Flat Carew with them while they opened their gifts...
The 2 little sisters cuddled together...
...and Kierra and Riley enjoyed being together watching the kids see what Santa had brought...
FAMILY is one of the greatest gifts to me!!!
First everyone opened their stockings...
Kesslyn had a ball opening her gifts! She was so dainty and careful while unwrapping the packages. :)
Each child gets to draw a name for Christmas, and Gavin had Kesslyn. He bought her a Barbie. :)
Kambriella gave Gavin STAR WARS LEGOS :)
Dallin was "adopted" into Anson Bagley's family! (One of Dallin's best friends;)
The amount of hugging and loving that was going on everywhere was a measure of gratitude that I think everyone was feeling too...;)
...which seriously makes this mama sooo happy!
Clint and I gave the kids a Nintendo Switch!
It was their main gift and I don't think they were expecting it at all...:)
...and it only seemed fitting to get Kierra and Riley new electric toothbrushes since he IS going to be a dentist you know...;)
And after opening all of the gifts it was finally time to talk to Carew!!! The minute the connection was made and his cute face appeared on the screen we all cheered out loud and shouted for JOY!!! I cannot put into words just how amazing it felt to actually see his face and HEAR his voice! It was seriously the best part of Christmas..my heart was so full and yet it was still so conflicted because part of me was feeling selfish and wanted him home with us, but the sensible part of me was just so happy and proud and humbled at his optimism in sacrifice...he has taught me a lot without even knowing it...
We had each written down questions that we wanted to ask him, and the 45 minutes that we were allowed to spend talking felt like it was only 20...
We asked him to say something to us in Italian, and so he began to share his testimony of Joseph Smith in Italian...it was beautiful and he sounded so fluent, and although I didn't know exactly what he was saying, I felt the spirit so strong and knew that what he was saying was true. THAT is the feeling that I know that people he teaches will feel when they decide to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ.
It was such an amazing gift on Christmas! I just hope and pray that him seeing us was as sweet of a gift for him...I love that boy with all of my heart and am so proud of him!
We took a family picture together and then took turns saying good bye individually...Clint may or may not have had something in his eye right at that moment...;)
I personally don't even remember what I said to him, I just remember praying that he could feel my love all the way through the screen! I wanted SO BAD to just reach right through and hug that boy!!!
What a special day it made on Christmas!
Here is my sweet Gavin with his gifts that he received...
Kierra and Riley with their gifts...
Kambriella and her gifts...
...and Kesslyn and her gifts!
Dallin with his gifts...and his BEST one...his Brother...:)
After a while we all took some of the presents and headed to the church! Gavin took his new basketball and wore his new shoes, Kambriella brought her roller skates, and Kesslyn brought her scooter...Dallin brought his Hover Surf board, and we all had fun playing together for a bit...Kierra and I talked too and watched all the boys play basketball together, and then Kierra and Riley left for a bit to go visit some of Riley's family...
We ended the night by sitting down and having dinner together, then the kids played games, and just like that Christmas was past! I cannot believe how quickly time flies...especially when you are having FUN!!!
It was such a happy Christmas and I am still carrying those happy feelings with me everywhere I go...
It's kind of what I like to do...carry my "memory and blessings bank" with me so that I will always remember how much I am loved and how truly blessed I am!
Thank you Heavenly Father for the gift of my sweet family, and for the most priceless gift of all...
Your Best Son!
Merry Christmas!


























No comments:
Post a Comment