Heartstrings By Susette

Friday, September 29, 2017

Prepared For Conference!

 This weekend is one of our favorites of the year! General Conference!!!
Annnd... with general conference comes my personal reminder that it is officially time to update our 72
hour kits! I try to do it every 6 months with every conference, but honestly, I'm lucky to make it happen once a year! I take out all of the old clothes and add new ones that actually fit all of these growing children of mine...and then rotate all of the food and supplies that may have expired or gone bad.
 Kesslyn was my helper at emptying, de~cluttering, throwing away, organizing, and shopping for the new.
I make the most basic kits and then add new items to it every year. Last year I added pots and cooking gear, and this year I am going to try and add more personal hygiene items.
These food bags hold the basics for 3 days, and then I add a case of water bottles, and larger food items to a bin that I keep draw string backpacks in as well. That way, everything is all together in one place so that if we needed to throw it in the car to leave quickly we could. If we couldn't drive, we would fill up those back packs and go that route.
Hopefully I won't ever have to use these...but with the reality of everything that has been happening lately in the world, and with heed and warnings from our prophets and church leaders over time, I feel like it's just te right thing to do and I feel GOOD when I feel prepared.
 This year I also added a few extra kits for family members that haven't done this yet. I made one for my mom and an extra one for her to have for a friend if that need were to arise...and then I made 4 extras for my sister Tiffany's family. These are just the basics to get them started, but I know they will love and appreciate it very much!
As I listen to general conference this weekend I am seeking so much divine guidance and inspiration.
As important as it may be to be physically prepared, I feel like the most essential part of our preparation is spiritual. I want to be prepared for the day when the bridegroom comes with my lamp FULL of oil! I want to be prepared so I can be included in the celebration and bring my family with me...
I am so grateful for the blessing of modern day prophets and apostles that can speak peace to our minds and  for personal revelation and for the Holy Ghost that can guide our hearts to do those things necessary for our individual families in our individual circumstances.
Have a happy weekend and ENJOY CONFERENCE!!!

No comments: